Monday, June 16, 2008

Workin' on it

I'm currently building a 12AX7 or 12AU7 tube preamp/Effects pedal for my church gig. I'm using real tubes, running in a 'space charge/starved plate' mode, which makes a really nice square wave, and it can run off a 15V wall wart adapter. I'm gonna dink around with tone controls until I find the one I like the most, I have lotsa options, including the Conklin Parametric EQ I developed a few years ago. I've heard enough 'models' of distortion to last a lifetime. The POD XT works ok on my USA HSS Strat, but the Les Paul Classic just overdrives it beyond hope. Too bad the $500 gizmo isn't as easy to use as the pre-owned one I got for $125 at a second hand music store. Why can't the 'modeling brains' at Line 6 put a friggin' volume control on the front!

BTW, the Volume pedal doesn't work AGAIN

Glad I'm playing for a higher purpose, otherwise, I'd be venting right now!

;-)

JC

1 comment:

Phil said...

Hey, thanks for you comment over on my blog.

Thought I'd check in over here too.

I'm looking forward to reading, in the meantime, God Bless!