Wednesday, January 30, 2008

American Idol and Hype

Read THIS from Russ Breimeier of ChristianityToday.com. It's an op-ed about the hype around American Idol.

My response was this: If you really really really wanna sing, you WOULD BE SINGING! I have a dozen friends at church that sing in our praise band/worship team/whatever we should call it. We have some great folks, and some great voices. Point is, they SING. They want to SING. If someone wanted to sing, they could get themselves involved. For some person to sing in the shower tone deaf as can be, and think they are gonna walk onto some stage somewhere and be discovered is crazy. If you wanna sing, then SING. In August of 2005 I volunteered myself as a guitar player at our church. Two days later I was rehearsing with them, and now I can claim to have been there since then, as the electric guitarist on stage. I work on it when I'm at home, I think about it when I'm in the car, and listen to music I don't know yet when I'm at work ( what did we do before MP3 players? ) If you are serious about an involvement in music ( career or not ) you should already be there, making your dream happen. The other side of this coin is maybe you weren't given those particular gifts, but whatever your gifts are, you should be serving God with them regardless.

Jimbo

No comments: