Sunday, May 18, 2008

what comes first

So I go to church, I get a guitar solo here and there, and a ton of people tell me they love it. They like it better than that 'other music' we have to do sometimes ( hymns, maybe a contemporary song nobody ever heard 'cept for our music pastor ), and wish we could do more of this type/that type/whatever. Like Shaun Groves said, paraphrased ' when we make something else more important than God, we've missed it'

How many times am I gonna have to quote Dr Joe Crider who once told me "You can't worship the music". Evidently, this is over some folks' heads. I dunno why.

So tonight, after my cool solos, the killer bass lines, big drum fills ( sorry, no fog or big trusses covered with stage lights ) I heard the chamber choir, and the handbells. The handbells were great, the best they have ever sounded. Doing the Tomlin tune 'How Great is Our God/How Great Thou Art' was the most modern thing they've ever done, and they did a great job of it. The chamber choir let loose of some great tunes I've heard on Gaither Homecoming videos, and everyone in the room was truly blessed.

Q: Why is it the only music that moves me is Southern Gospel? I'd love an answer to that question. FYI I don't play 10 SG songs a year.

God First, Music Second

Jimbo

No comments: